Associate – London
Bell Cornwell LLP is an independent town planning consultancy with a high-quality team of professionals and a strong reputation for providing clear, realistic advice with a personalised service. With offices in Buckinghamshire, Cornwall, Devon, Hampshire and London, we deliver projects throughout the UK.
We provide advice across most property sectors with current projects encompassing work within the residential, commercial, leisure, energy, and heritage sectors, amongst others.
Our projects come in all shapes and sizes, from substantial and high-profile developments to smaller but complex proposals where our planning input adds significant value. Our clients are similarly diverse and range from large national developers and property operators to landed estates, regional organisations and private individuals.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a leading planning consultancy that is dedicated to developing its staff and to providing an excellent service to its clients. The practice is busy and is growing so successful candidates will have the real opportunity to progress professionally and enjoy excellent employee benefits as well as a competitive salary.
Job Title: Associate
Responsible for delivering the objectives of the company positioning statement to provide clear realistic advice with a personalised service.
Deal with the full range of planning work, be working fully independently, developing, and managing client relationships, responsible for business development activity and be achieving self-sufficiency in work generation. Starting to generate work for others.
- Preparing written fee proposals for clients following practice templates and guidelines
- Undertaking planning history and policy research independently and accurately
- Undertaking site visits and preparing written and visual record independently and accurately
- Preparing written site appraisals for clients to provide clear record of findings and advice
- Providing written and verbal planning advice to clients to provide clear recommendations
- Preparing, submitting, and proactively managing pre-application advice requests and applications including planning, enforcement, listed building consent, certificate of lawfulness and prior approvals
- Preparing planning, design & access, heritage, and other related statements for submission
- Preparing written local plan representations for site promotion and representations at examinations
- Submitting and managing appeals by written representations, hearings and inquiries including preparation of appeal statements and representation at site visits, hearings and inquiries as an expert witness
- Dealing directly with clients for all size projects
- Coordinating a team of consultants on all size projects
- Speaking on behalf of clients at Planning Committee meetings
- Regular and clear communication with clients and team at all stages of projects
- Proactive management of client relationships both as part of specific projects and outside of this
- Undertaking all personal, project and financial administrative tasks in line with company requirements
- Preparing, maintaining, and implementing Personal Development Plan
Mentoring of Staff
- Mentoring junior staff in their professional development
- Beginning to delegate to, and review work of junior staff
- Supporting and working collaboratively with staff across all offices
- Achieving self-sufficiency in generating own planning work by building network of contacts, actively developing client relationships, raising personal profile, achieving recommendations and referrals
- Beginning to generate work for others in the team
- Representing the company at networking events
- Initiating and participating in company-wide business development projects
- Preparing, maintaining, and implementing Individual Business Development Plan
- Proactively leading wider business operational improvement initiatives
- Any other tasks commensurate with the post
Skills & Aptitudes Required
- Well organised and able to manage own and others’ time effectively to meet deadlines and budgets even under pressure.
- Excellent attention to detail, with the ability to produce own work and review the work of others to ensure high quality and an excellent level of accuracy.
- Self-motivated, confident and driven with a desire for continued personal development.
- The ability to flexibly and a willingness to adapt with the business.
- Committed and able to build strong client relationships and provide great service.
- Excellent communicator and encourages and enables others to communicate well with clients, colleagues and other consultants.
- Contributes towards and encourages a supportive and collaborative workplace culture.
- Good literacy, numeracy, IT and administrative skills.
- Chartered Planner/RTPI Member
- Full driving license (exceptions can be considered)
- Excellent understanding and ability in the full range of planning work
- Excellent commercial understanding of development projects
- Excellent commercial understanding of planning consultancy business
- Range of varied and solid planning experience
- Private sector experience essential